Image courtesy of The County Museums
Glenora is the western dock for the ferry from Adolphustown. About 100 feet above is the unusual Lake on the Mountain with a parkette, washrooms, and a look-out over the adjacent Adolphustown.
The ferry runs every 30 minutes in winter and every 15 minutes in summer. Duration is 10 minutes. All vehicles are accepted. Passage is free at time of publication. This ferry has been powered by man, horse, wind and steam since the first settlers. There are public washrooms at both ferry docks.
Water flowing from the lake above provided power for several grain mills and later for other manufacturing.
The complex at Glenora includes mill buildings dating to the early 1800’s. The first was Van Alstine's stone grist mill, built in 1806, followed by a carding and fulling factory for finishing cloth, and a plaster mill. Later these buildings were joined by a factory that produced water turbines, and is now an Ontario Fishery Research building. The newer building at the dock houses the ferry staff services.
Stage and Ferry Hotel
11275 Loyalist Parkway, Glenora, ON K0K 2T0
Just up the road from the west dock is the former Stage and Ferry Hotel, ca. 1815. It is the earliest hotel in Prince Edward County for which there is a record, and was constructed to provide accommodation for farmers coming to Stone Mills (Glenora) to have their crops ground into flour. The picturesque red barns next door were built to house stables and a dairy for the hotel.
Van Alstine's Mill
59 Hatchery Lane, Glenora, ON K0K 2T0
Peter Van Alstine, an early settler from New York State, is one of the region's most influential historical figures. He settled in Adolphustown after leading a large group of Loyalists to the area, and was elected as the region's representative in the first legislature of Upper Canada in 1792.
Van Alstine successfully petitioned the government to establish a gristmill at what is now known as Glenora in 1806. The mill, which was constructed with local limestone, was joined by other mills in the following years, giving the settlement its first name: "Stone Mills". The mill stayed in the Van Alstine family until the late 1830's, and Hugh Macdonald, the father of our ﬁrst Prime Minister, was the miller there from 1829-1836.
The mill operated until the early 20th century, but eventually fell into disuse, though thankfully the building has remained.
Lake on the Mountain
Image courtesy of The County Museums
296 County Road 7, Picton, ON K0K 2T0
Lake on the Mountain is a natural wonder. It sits 60 metres above the Bay of Quinte, and with a constant flow of clean, fresh water with no apparent source, it is definitely a curiosity.
The lake and surrounding area was designated a provincial park in 1957, and the day-use area provides views of the Bay, the Glenora Ferry and the north shore.
It is a great spot to stop for a picnic and a photo when you are exploring Prince Edward County.
Picton is the major town on the Parkway and is the municipal centre of Prince Edward County. It has all necessities as well as a thriving main street shopping area with a strong heritage character, and a remarkable stock of heritage buildings.
Initially two separate villages, Picton was established as a single town in 1837. The name was suggested by Reverend William Macaulay, a prominent local rector and landowner.
Picton hosts numerous arts and cuisine related events and festivals throughout the year, many at the historic Crystal Palace venue.
You can find a number of heritage walking tours of Picton here: http://prince-edward-county.com/item/heritage-walking-tours-picton/