Macauley Heritage Park
23 & 35 Church Street, Picton, ON K0K 2T0
Macaulay Heritage Park is an attractive historic site featuring many points of interest: Macaulay House, built in 1830 and restored to the mid-1850s; the historic former Church of St. Mary Magdalene, now a museum; the old St. Mary Magdalene Parish Cemetery; Heritage Gardens and the Carriage House. Together they comprise beautiful parkland for visitors to enjoy.
The site is associated with Reverend William Macaulay, the son of a Loyalist settler, who was a prominent local rector and landowner. Macaulay established the first Anglican parish in Picton and was the rector at the former Church of St. Mary Magdalene for over 50 years. He lived in Macaulay House until his death in 1874.
Saint Mary Magdalene Church (Macaulay Church Museum)
35 Church St, Picton, ON K0K 2T0
The historic former Church of St. Mary Magdalene, now a museum on the grounds of Macauley Heritage Park.
In 1823 the Parish of Hallowell, later called the Parish of Picton, was established when Bishop Mountain, the Anglican Bishop of Quebec appointed the Rev. William Macaulay as its first minister. Soon after the first church was built at the corner of Union and Church street. Macaulay served for 47 years. The church, rectory and curate’s house were all built on Macaulay’s property at his own expense. Source: https://stmmpicton.ca/about-our-history/
44 Union St, Picton, ON K0K 2T0
An Act of the legislature of Upper Canada in 1831 named Prince Edward County a separate judicial district. Land for a court-house in Picton was given by the Rev. William Macaulay and construction began late in 1832.
The Courthouse has been in continuous use since the mid-1830's, and was the site of Picton's infamous double hanging, which took place in 1884 after two local men were convicted of the murder of Peter Lazier based on very dubious evidence. Tours of the jail cells and gallows are offered in July and August through The County Museums.
375 Main St, Picton, ON K0K 2T0
On Main Street North you will find the Crystal Palace (1887), and The Grandstand in the Fair Grounds. The Crystal Palace is probably the last remaining example of many inspired by Sir Joseph Paxton’s original in London, England. It has been extensively restored, is now used for weddings, festivals, exhibitions and Picton's Fall Fair (established in 1836), which takes place in early September.
Ross McMullen House
347 Main Street, Picton, ON K0K 2T0
Built as a private residence in 1864, the Ross McMullen House later served as the home of Royal Canadian Legion Branch 78 for over 6 decades. The building is a historical mansion that has been restored for private events, celebrations and community gatherings and is now known as Culinary Arts Prince Edward (CAPE).