Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

American Attack on the Village of Ernesttown

Source: David L. Smith

KM
11

GPS:
44.182678
,
-76.775612

Plaque Text

American Attack on the Village of Ernesttown

The Royal George

HMS Royal George was a British 20-gun wooden sloop of the Provincial Marine, and subsequently, the Royal Navy, operating on Lake Ontario during the War of 1812 with a crew of 200. She was launched at the Kingston Royal Naval Dockyard in Kingston, Ontario, in July 1809. In November 1812, Royal George was the largest warship on the lake, operating under the command of British Commodore Hugh Earl. On 9 November 1812, she was intercepted by an American fleet of seven ships under the command of U.S. Commodore Isaac Chauncey, but managed to escape to the safety of her home harbour at Kingston.

1784

The first recognized owner of this site was Lt. George McGinnis who received the grant in 1784 for his service in the Indian Department during the American Revolution.

As Palantines the McGinnis family operated a trading post in the Mohawk Valley of New York. George’s father, Capt. Timothy McGinnis (Teady Magin) had been killed during the French and Indian War. His mother, Sarah (nee Kast) continued to operate the family’s trading business. Her ties to the Iroquois were invaluable as the British negotiated native participation in their cause during the revolution. George settled and lived the rest of his life on Amherst island.

1796

It is believed that McGinnis sold to William Fairfield (senior) who passed it on to his son, William (junior). In partnership with his brother, Benjamin, William Jr established a farm and a merchandising business, transporting their goods in a schooner called the ‘Two Brothers’.The brothers built the house on this site in 1796. Benjamin and his wife, Abigail Lockwood, lived
and had nine children.

From 1799 until 1813, the Fairfield household probably included the Rev. John Langhorne. Active settlers, William Jr. and Benjamin were elected to the Legislative Assemble and were involved in establishing a school in 1803
and the Bath Academy in 1811.

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

American Attack on the Village of Ernesttown

American Attack on the Village of Ernesttown
KM
11

GPS:
44.182678
,
-76.775612

The Royal George

HMS Royal George was a British 20-gun wooden sloop of the Provincial Marine, and subsequently, the Royal Navy, operating on Lake Ontario during the War of 1812 with a crew of 200. She was launched at the Kingston Royal Naval Dockyard in Kingston, Ontario, in July 1809. In November 1812, Royal George was the largest warship on the lake, operating under the command of British Commodore Hugh Earl. On 9 November 1812, she was intercepted by an American fleet of seven ships under the command of U.S. Commodore Isaac Chauncey, but managed to escape to the safety of her home harbour at Kingston.

1784

The first recognized owner of this site was Lt. George McGinnis who received the grant in 1784 for his service in the Indian Department during the American Revolution.

As Palantines the McGinnis family operated a trading post in the Mohawk Valley of New York. George’s father, Capt. Timothy McGinnis (Teady Magin) had been killed during the French and Indian War. His mother, Sarah (nee Kast) continued to operate the family’s trading business. Her ties to the Iroquois were invaluable as the British negotiated native participation in their cause during the revolution. George settled and lived the rest of his life on Amherst island.

1796

It is believed that McGinnis sold to William Fairfield (senior) who passed it on to his son, William (junior). In partnership with his brother, Benjamin, William Jr established a farm and a merchandising business, transporting their goods in a schooner called the ‘Two Brothers’.The brothers built the house on this site in 1796. Benjamin and his wife, Abigail Lockwood, lived
and had nine children.

From 1799 until 1813, the Fairfield household probably included the Rev. John Langhorne. Active settlers, William Jr. and Benjamin were elected to the Legislative Assemble and were involved in establishing a school in 1803
and the Bath Academy in 1811.

More sites nearby

Eastern Gates

KM
:
0

The Loyalist Parkway Eastern Gates were constructed for the dedication of the Parkway by Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II in 1984.

Plaque Details & Location

Fairfield White House

KM
:
0

4574 Bath Road, Amherstview, ON

On the waterfront, adjacent to the Gates, is the Fairfield-White House, left by bequest to Ontario in 1959 by Elizabeth Fairfield. It is reputedly the best preserved 18th century house in the Province. This property was recently passed to Loyalist Township by the Ontario Government and the St. Lawrence Parkway Commission. It is open for guided tours in summer and on special occasions. On the grounds are parking, seasonal tourist information and picnic accommodation at the shore.

Plaque Details & Location

Millhaven Inn

KM
:
7

5510 Bath Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Millhaven Inn was built in 1795. Also known as the Losee Inn, it served as the political hub of the region.

Plaque Details & Location

Amherst Island Ferry Dock

KM
:
8

5604 Hwy 33, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Plaque Details & Location

Fairfield-Gutzeit House

KM
:
11

341 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Fairfield-Gutzeit House is the oldest of three properties, built in 1796 by two brothers, William Jr. and Benjamin, both prominent in the community of Bath.

Plaque Details & Location

Layer Cake Hall - Bath Library

KM
:
11

197 Davy St, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Layer Cake Hall was constructed in 1859 and is an excellent example of Gothic Revival architecture.

Plaque Details & Location

St. John’s Anglican Church

KM
:
11

212 Church St, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

St. John's Anglican Church, at Bath, was erected in 1793 and is the oldest place of worship in continuous use in Ontario.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Town Hall - Bath Museum

KM
:
12

434 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Old Town Hall, now Bath Museum for Loyalist Township, was built as a Court House in 1866.

Plaque Details & Location

Jeptha Hawley House

KM
:
12

531 Main Street, Bath, ON

Plaque Details & Location

Finkle’s Shores

KM
:
13

697 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Finkle’s Shores is just to the west of Bath. Finkle’s brewery and tavern once stood here beside the Danforth Road. It was the site of the first hanging in Upper Canada. A Federal Plaque marks the launching of the steamship Frontenac in 1816, the first steamer built in Upper Canada. A boat launch, small park and picnic shelter are available for you to enjoy.

Plaque Details & Location

Conrad Huffman House

KM
:
15

6659 Loyalist Parkway, Bath, ON

Plaque Details & Location