Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

Finkle Tavern

Source: David L. Smith

KM
13

GPS:
44.1702923
,
-76.7909666

Plaque Text

Finkle Tavern

Erected in 1786 by Henry Finkle , a Loyalist soldier, it was the first tavern built between Kingston and York. Henry Finkle also built the first brewery in Upper Canada and one of the earliest schools on this property. In 1788 an unfortunate transient was falsely accused of stealing a watch and sentenced to hang by Judge Richard Cartwright, of Kingston, who held the district court here. The tavern became the headquarters, in 1798, of Asa Danforth when he built the eastern section of the Kingston-York Road, the first public highway in Ontario.

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

Finkle Tavern

Finkle Tavern
KM
13

GPS:
44.1702923
,
-76.7909666

Erected in 1786 by Henry Finkle , a Loyalist soldier, it was the first tavern built between Kingston and York. Henry Finkle also built the first brewery in Upper Canada and one of the earliest schools on this property. In 1788 an unfortunate transient was falsely accused of stealing a watch and sentenced to hang by Judge Richard Cartwright, of Kingston, who held the district court here. The tavern became the headquarters, in 1798, of Asa Danforth when he built the eastern section of the Kingston-York Road, the first public highway in Ontario.

More sites nearby

Eastern Gates

KM
:
0

The Loyalist Parkway Eastern Gates were constructed for the dedication of the Parkway by Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II in 1984.

Plaque Details & Location

Fairfield White House

KM
:
0

4574 Bath Road, Amherstview, ON

On the waterfront, adjacent to the Gates, is the Fairfield-White House, left by bequest to Ontario in 1959 by Elizabeth Fairfield. It is reputedly the best preserved 18th century house in the Province. This property was recently passed to Loyalist Township by the Ontario Government and the St. Lawrence Parkway Commission. It is open for guided tours in summer and on special occasions. On the grounds are parking, seasonal tourist information and picnic accommodation at the shore.

Plaque Details & Location

Millhaven Inn

KM
:
7

5510 Bath Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Millhaven Inn was built in 1795. Also known as the Losee Inn, it served as the political hub of the region.

Plaque Details & Location

Amherst Island Ferry Dock

KM
:
8

5604 Hwy 33, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Plaque Details & Location

Fairfield-Gutzeit House

KM
:
11

341 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Fairfield-Gutzeit House is the oldest of three properties, built in 1796 by two brothers, William Jr. and Benjamin, both prominent in the community of Bath.

Plaque Details & Location

Layer Cake Hall - Bath Library

KM
:
11

197 Davy St, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Layer Cake Hall was constructed in 1859 and is an excellent example of Gothic Revival architecture.

Plaque Details & Location

St. John’s Anglican Church

KM
:
11

212 Church St, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

St. John's Anglican Church, at Bath, was erected in 1793 and is the oldest place of worship in continuous use in Ontario.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Town Hall - Bath Museum

KM
:
12

434 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Old Town Hall, now Bath Museum for Loyalist Township, was built as a Court House in 1866.

Plaque Details & Location

Jeptha Hawley House

KM
:
12

531 Main Street, Bath, ON

Plaque Details & Location

Finkle’s Shores

KM
:
13

697 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Finkle’s Shores is just to the west of Bath. Finkle’s brewery and tavern once stood here beside the Danforth Road. It was the site of the first hanging in Upper Canada. A Federal Plaque marks the launching of the steamship Frontenac in 1816, the first steamer built in Upper Canada. A boat launch, small park and picnic shelter are available for you to enjoy.

Plaque Details & Location

Conrad Huffman House

KM
:
15

6659 Loyalist Parkway, Bath, ON

Plaque Details & Location