Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

Lt. Col. Edwin Albert Baker

Source: ontarioplaques.com

KM
3

GPS:
44.2160844
,
-76.6862996

On the south side of Highway 33 in a picnic area across from Bayview Drive 1.7 km west of Road 6

Plaque Text

Lt. Col. Edwin Albert Baker

A passionate advocate of the rehabilitation and training of the blind, Baker was born nearby. In 1914 he enlisted in the Canadian Army and was blinded while in action in Belgium. He was hospitalized in England where he embraced the philosophy of self-reliance espoused by Sir Arthur Pearson, the prominent newspaper owner who was himself partially blind. Returning to Canada, Baker was instrumental in the formation of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind in 1918 and, as its General Secretary and Managing Director (1920-64), worked tirelessly to improve the medical, rehabilitative and educational services for veterans and the handicapped. He received many honours for his efforts and in 1951 was elected first president of the World Council for the Welfare of the Blind.

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

Lt. Col. Edwin Albert Baker

Lt. Col. Edwin Albert Baker
KM
3

GPS:
44.2160844
,
-76.6862996

On the south side of Highway 33 in a picnic area across from Bayview Drive 1.7 km west of Road 6

A passionate advocate of the rehabilitation and training of the blind, Baker was born nearby. In 1914 he enlisted in the Canadian Army and was blinded while in action in Belgium. He was hospitalized in England where he embraced the philosophy of self-reliance espoused by Sir Arthur Pearson, the prominent newspaper owner who was himself partially blind. Returning to Canada, Baker was instrumental in the formation of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind in 1918 and, as its General Secretary and Managing Director (1920-64), worked tirelessly to improve the medical, rehabilitative and educational services for veterans and the handicapped. He received many honours for his efforts and in 1951 was elected first president of the World Council for the Welfare of the Blind.

More sites nearby

Eastern Gates

KM
:
0

The Loyalist Parkway Eastern Gates were constructed for the dedication of the Parkway by Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II in 1984.

Plaque Details & Location

Fairfield White House

KM
:
0

4574 Bath Road, Amherstview, ON

On the waterfront, adjacent to the Gates, is the Fairfield-White House, left by bequest to Ontario in 1959 by Elizabeth Fairfield. It is reputedly the best preserved 18th century house in the Province. This property was recently passed to Loyalist Township by the Ontario Government and the St. Lawrence Parkway Commission. It is open for guided tours in summer and on special occasions. On the grounds are parking, seasonal tourist information and picnic accommodation at the shore.

Plaque Details & Location

Millhaven Inn

KM
:
7

5510 Bath Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Millhaven Inn was built in 1795. Also known as the Losee Inn, it served as the political hub of the region.

Plaque Details & Location

Amherst Island Ferry Dock

KM
:
8

5604 Hwy 33, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Plaque Details & Location

Fairfield-Gutzeit House

KM
:
11

341 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Fairfield-Gutzeit House is the oldest of three properties, built in 1796 by two brothers, William Jr. and Benjamin, both prominent in the community of Bath.

Plaque Details & Location

Layer Cake Hall - Bath Library

KM
:
11

197 Davy St, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Layer Cake Hall was constructed in 1859 and is an excellent example of Gothic Revival architecture.

Plaque Details & Location

St. John’s Anglican Church

KM
:
11

212 Church St, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

St. John's Anglican Church, at Bath, was erected in 1793 and is the oldest place of worship in continuous use in Ontario.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Town Hall - Bath Museum

KM
:
12

434 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Old Town Hall, now Bath Museum for Loyalist Township, was built as a Court House in 1866.

Plaque Details & Location

Jeptha Hawley House

KM
:
12

531 Main Street, Bath, ON

Plaque Details & Location

Finkle’s Shores

KM
:
13

697 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Finkle’s Shores is just to the west of Bath. Finkle’s brewery and tavern once stood here beside the Danforth Road. It was the site of the first hanging in Upper Canada. A Federal Plaque marks the launching of the steamship Frontenac in 1816, the first steamer built in Upper Canada. A boat launch, small park and picnic shelter are available for you to enjoy.

Plaque Details & Location

Conrad Huffman House

KM
:
15

6659 Loyalist Parkway, Bath, ON

Plaque Details & Location