Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

Madeleine de Roybon d'Allonne

Source: ontarioplaques.com

KM
3

4884 Bath Rd, Bath, Ontario

GPS:
44.2160844
,
-76.6862996

On the south side of Highway 33 in a picnic area across from Bayview Drive 1.7 km west of Road 6

Plaque Text

Madeleine de Roybon d'Allonne

c. 1646-1718

Of noble French birth, de Roybon was the first European woman to own land in what is now Ontario. She came to Fort Frontenac (Kingston), probably in 1679, where she acquired property from René-Robert Cavelier de La Salle, governor and seigneury of the fort. In 1681 she loaned him money to finance his explorations and about this time he granted her a seigneury extending westward from Toneguignon (Collin's Bay). On this land she built a house, outbuildings and a trading post, grew crops and raised cattle. Marauding Iroquois, angry at the French for their campaign against the Senecas in 1686 destroyed the Roybon's establishment in August 1687, and took her prisoner. Released the following year, she lived in Montreal until her death.

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

Madeleine de Roybon d'Allonne

Madeleine de Roybon d'Allonne
KM
3

4884 Bath Rd, Bath, Ontario

GPS:
44.2160844
,
-76.6862996

On the south side of Highway 33 in a picnic area across from Bayview Drive 1.7 km west of Road 6

c. 1646-1718

Of noble French birth, de Roybon was the first European woman to own land in what is now Ontario. She came to Fort Frontenac (Kingston), probably in 1679, where she acquired property from René-Robert Cavelier de La Salle, governor and seigneury of the fort. In 1681 she loaned him money to finance his explorations and about this time he granted her a seigneury extending westward from Toneguignon (Collin's Bay). On this land she built a house, outbuildings and a trading post, grew crops and raised cattle. Marauding Iroquois, angry at the French for their campaign against the Senecas in 1686 destroyed the Roybon's establishment in August 1687, and took her prisoner. Released the following year, she lived in Montreal until her death.

More sites nearby

Eastern Gates

KM
:
0

The Loyalist Parkway Eastern Gates were constructed for the dedication of the Parkway by Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II in 1984.

Plaque Details & Location

Fairfield White House

KM
:
0

4574 Bath Road, Amherstview, ON

On the waterfront, adjacent to the Gates, is the Fairfield-White House, left by bequest to Ontario in 1959 by Elizabeth Fairfield. It is reputedly the best preserved 18th century house in the Province. This property was recently passed to Loyalist Township by the Ontario Government and the St. Lawrence Parkway Commission. It is open for guided tours in summer and on special occasions. On the grounds are parking, seasonal tourist information and picnic accommodation at the shore.

Plaque Details & Location

Millhaven Inn

KM
:
7

5510 Bath Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Millhaven Inn was built in 1795. Also known as the Losee Inn, it served as the political hub of the region.

Plaque Details & Location

Amherst Island Ferry Dock

KM
:
8

5604 Hwy 33, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Plaque Details & Location

Fairfield-Gutzeit House

KM
:
11

341 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Fairfield-Gutzeit House is the oldest of three properties, built in 1796 by two brothers, William Jr. and Benjamin, both prominent in the community of Bath.

Plaque Details & Location

Layer Cake Hall - Bath Library

KM
:
11

197 Davy St, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Layer Cake Hall was constructed in 1859 and is an excellent example of Gothic Revival architecture.

Plaque Details & Location

St. John’s Anglican Church

KM
:
11

212 Church St, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

St. John's Anglican Church, at Bath, was erected in 1793 and is the oldest place of worship in continuous use in Ontario.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Town Hall - Bath Museum

KM
:
12

434 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The Old Town Hall, now Bath Museum for Loyalist Township, was built as a Court House in 1866.

Plaque Details & Location

Jeptha Hawley House

KM
:
12

531 Main Street, Bath, ON

Plaque Details & Location

Finkle’s Shores

KM
:
13

697 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Finkle’s Shores is just to the west of Bath. Finkle’s brewery and tavern once stood here beside the Danforth Road. It was the site of the first hanging in Upper Canada. A Federal Plaque marks the launching of the steamship Frontenac in 1816, the first steamer built in Upper Canada. A boat launch, small park and picnic shelter are available for you to enjoy.

Plaque Details & Location

Conrad Huffman House

KM
:
15

6659 Loyalist Parkway, Bath, ON

Plaque Details & Location