Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

United Empire Loyalist Burial Ground

Image courtesy of David L. Smith

KM
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

GPS:
44.0625411
,
-77.0062945

Situated in UEL Heritage Centre and Park, Adolphustown, Ontario, the UEL Burying Ground is known as the first Loyalist cemetery.

Plaque Text

United Empire Loyalist Burial Ground

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

United Empire Loyalist Burial Ground

United Empire Loyalist Burial Ground
KM
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

GPS:
44.0625411
,
-77.0062945

Situated in UEL Heritage Centre and Park, Adolphustown, Ontario, the UEL Burying Ground is known as the first Loyalist cemetery.

Situated in UEL Heritage Centre and Park, Adolphustown, Ontario, the UEL Burying Ground is known as the first Loyalist cemetery.

The cemetery is located on the site of the original landing of the first group of United Empire Loyalists, under Major Peter Vanalstine, which took place on June 16, 1784. The first loyalists were settled on the grounds in tents, and spent their early days here before moving to their new homes.

From “The Napanee Beaver” ... 16 August 1901: "There was but one burying ground in that part of the township, and it alone has been used by the people of that locality from the time of the first settlement of the township to this day with a slight exception to two. It will probably continue to be the last resting place of many of the residents of that locality for generations to come. It happens, however, that the descendants of the first Loyalists who cleared away the wilderness there and transferred the then "wild lots" into very fruitful and productive farms have now nearly all left the township."

Ceremony at UEL Burying Ground
Image courtesy of David L. Smith

More sites nearby

Upper Gap Archeological Site

KM
:
18

Plaque Details & Location

Robert McDowall Church and Cemetery

KM
:
22

8031 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

In 1834, a frame church was built by the early Presbyterian families. In 1887 the church was renovated, the tower was added on the front rising 60 feet.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Hay Bay Church

KM
:
34

2368 S Shore Rd, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

Old Hay Bay Church is the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada. It was erected in 1792 by settlers, including United Empire Loyalists, who had recently arrived and established the community of Adolphustown.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Adolphustown Township Hall

KM
:
35

10469 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

The Old Adolphustown Township Hall, located on Loyalist Parkway at Adolphustown, at the entrance to the park, is the site of the first town meeting in Upper Canada and the Midland District Courthouse (1792).

Plaque Details & Location

St. Alban the Martyr Church

KM
:
35

10419 Loyalist Pkwy, Adolphustown, ON K0K 1X0

St. Alban the Martyr Church was erected in 1884 as a memorial to the United Empire Loyalists.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The park is the site of the original landing of the first group of United Empire Loyalists, under Major Peter Van Alstine, which took place on June 16, 1784.

Plaque Details & Location