Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

First Windmill in Upper Canada

Source: David L. Smith

KM
19

GPS:
44.1381347
,
-76.8559124

Plaque Text

First Windmill in Upper Canada

In the late 1780s, Sergeant John Howell, a Loyalist, came from Oswego NY State, to settle on Lot 15, Concession 1, Fredericksburgh. Lot 15 was a Crown grant of 20 acres running north from the shore of Lake Ontario at this site. Sergeant Howell had been a member of Sir John Johnson's Battalion and later joined Butler's Rangers. It was some time during the 1790s that he constructed the first windmill in Upper Canada on his property.

The windmill, approximately 10 metres in diameter and of stone construction, was likely used to pump water up from the lake. In 1803 James Russell, an engineer and head carpenter at the Royal Naval Dockyard in Kingston, purchased the windmill property. The windmill was fortified for protection against a potential American invasion during the War of 1812.

It is unknown how long the windmill remained operational, but by 1877 its tower was in ruins. Today only a shadowy imprint of the windmill's foundation, some 45 metres north of here, marks the site of Upper Canada's first windmill.

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

First Windmill in Upper Canada

First Windmill in Upper Canada
KM
19

GPS:
44.1381347
,
-76.8559124

In the late 1780s, Sergeant John Howell, a Loyalist, came from Oswego NY State, to settle on Lot 15, Concession 1, Fredericksburgh. Lot 15 was a Crown grant of 20 acres running north from the shore of Lake Ontario at this site. Sergeant Howell had been a member of Sir John Johnson's Battalion and later joined Butler's Rangers. It was some time during the 1790s that he constructed the first windmill in Upper Canada on his property.

The windmill, approximately 10 metres in diameter and of stone construction, was likely used to pump water up from the lake. In 1803 James Russell, an engineer and head carpenter at the Royal Naval Dockyard in Kingston, purchased the windmill property. The windmill was fortified for protection against a potential American invasion during the War of 1812.

It is unknown how long the windmill remained operational, but by 1877 its tower was in ruins. Today only a shadowy imprint of the windmill's foundation, some 45 metres north of here, marks the site of Upper Canada's first windmill.

More sites nearby

Upper Gap Archeological Site

KM
:
18

Plaque Details & Location

Robert McDowall Church and Cemetery

KM
:
22

8031 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

In 1834, a frame church was built by the early Presbyterian families. In 1887 the church was renovated, the tower was added on the front rising 60 feet.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Hay Bay Church

KM
:
34

2368 S Shore Rd, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

Old Hay Bay Church is the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada. It was erected in 1792 by settlers, including United Empire Loyalists, who had recently arrived and established the community of Adolphustown.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Burial Ground

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Situated in UEL Heritage Centre and Park, Adolphustown, Ontario, the UEL Burying Ground is known as the first Loyalist cemetery.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Adolphustown Township Hall

KM
:
35

10469 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

The Old Adolphustown Township Hall, located on Loyalist Parkway at Adolphustown, at the entrance to the park, is the site of the first town meeting in Upper Canada and the Midland District Courthouse (1792).

Plaque Details & Location

St. Alban the Martyr Church

KM
:
35

10419 Loyalist Pkwy, Adolphustown, ON K0K 1X0

St. Alban the Martyr Church was erected in 1884 as a memorial to the United Empire Loyalists.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The park is the site of the original landing of the first group of United Empire Loyalists, under Major Peter Van Alstine, which took place on June 16, 1784.

Plaque Details & Location