Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

Hazelton Spencer

Source: David L. Smith

KM
29

9360 Loyalist Parkway, Adolphustown, ON

GPS:
44.0924854
,
-76.9489876

On the south side of Highway 33 at the edge of the road 3 km west of Conway across the road from street number 9369

Plaque Text

Hazelton Spencer

An important figure in early Upper Canada, Spencer was born in East Greenwich, Rhode Island. During the American Revolution he fought with the British forces and in 1784, when his unit was disbanded, he settled here. Widely acknowledged as a man of ability and stature, Spencer quickly achieved prominence. He represented this region in the province's first parliament (1792-96) and secured several judicial and administrative appointments. Continuing his distinguished military career, he was commissioned an officer in the Royal Canadian Volunteer Regiment and served in the garrison at Kingston, (1797-1800) where he was commandant and at Fort George (1800-1802). Spencer gained his highest office in 1794, however, with his appointment as Lieutenant of the County of Lennox. He held this prestigious post until his death.

Additional History

Born August 29, 1757 in Rhode Island and moved with his family to Vermont. In 1777, he joined the British forces with his father. After serving in the Revolutionary War he was stationed at Cataraqui where he was given land as a loyalist officer. In 1784, when the regiment was disbanded, he settled at Fredericksburgh. 

He was appointed justice of the peace in 1790 in the Mecklenburg District. In 1792, he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada, representing Lennox, Hastings & Northumberland. From 1793 to 1795, he served as a district judge of the surrogate court. He was appointed lieutenant for Lennox County, a position that oversaw the magistrates and militia for the county. 

Spencer Served as Captain in the Royal Canadian Volunteer Regiment, becoming major in 1797. He would later serve as Commandant in Kingston and then on the Niagara at Fort George up to 1802.  When he died, he was serving as the Colonel of the Lennox Militia in Fredericksburgh in 1813 during the War of 1812.

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

Hazelton Spencer

Hazelton Spencer
KM
29

9360 Loyalist Parkway, Adolphustown, ON

GPS:
44.0924854
,
-76.9489876

On the south side of Highway 33 at the edge of the road 3 km west of Conway across the road from street number 9369

An important figure in early Upper Canada, Spencer was born in East Greenwich, Rhode Island. During the American Revolution he fought with the British forces and in 1784, when his unit was disbanded, he settled here. Widely acknowledged as a man of ability and stature, Spencer quickly achieved prominence. He represented this region in the province's first parliament (1792-96) and secured several judicial and administrative appointments. Continuing his distinguished military career, he was commissioned an officer in the Royal Canadian Volunteer Regiment and served in the garrison at Kingston, (1797-1800) where he was commandant and at Fort George (1800-1802). Spencer gained his highest office in 1794, however, with his appointment as Lieutenant of the County of Lennox. He held this prestigious post until his death.

More sites nearby

Upper Gap Archeological Site

KM
:
18

Plaque Details & Location

Robert McDowall Church and Cemetery

KM
:
22

8031 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

In 1834, a frame church was built by the early Presbyterian families. In 1887 the church was renovated, the tower was added on the front rising 60 feet.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Hay Bay Church

KM
:
34

2368 S Shore Rd, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

Old Hay Bay Church is the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada. It was erected in 1792 by settlers, including United Empire Loyalists, who had recently arrived and established the community of Adolphustown.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Burial Ground

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Situated in UEL Heritage Centre and Park, Adolphustown, Ontario, the UEL Burying Ground is known as the first Loyalist cemetery.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Adolphustown Township Hall

KM
:
35

10469 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

The Old Adolphustown Township Hall, located on Loyalist Parkway at Adolphustown, at the entrance to the park, is the site of the first town meeting in Upper Canada and the Midland District Courthouse (1792).

Plaque Details & Location

St. Alban the Martyr Church

KM
:
35

10419 Loyalist Pkwy, Adolphustown, ON K0K 1X0

St. Alban the Martyr Church was erected in 1884 as a memorial to the United Empire Loyalists.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The park is the site of the original landing of the first group of United Empire Loyalists, under Major Peter Van Alstine, which took place on June 16, 1784.

Plaque Details & Location