Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

Lieut. Col. James Rogers

Source: ontarioplaques.com

KM
22

GPS:
44.1282833
,
-76.8832667

In Sandhurst, on the grounds of a church on the south side of Highway 33 just west of Wellington Street at street number 8010 3.0 km west of Road 21

Plaque Text

Lieut. Col. James Rogers

Born in Ireland, Rogers emigrated with his family to Massachusetts Bay Colony about 1730. During the Seven Years' War he served in the Queen's Rangers (Roger's Rangers), a provincial corps raised by his brother Robert, and was present at the capture of Louisbourg and of Quebec. In the American Revolution he commanded the 2nd Battalion, King's Rangers, thereby forfeiting some 20,230 ha in the old colonies. In 1784 he led a party of about 300 disbanded King's Rangers and their families to this vicinity where they were granted land. Rogers, who first settled in Fredericksburgh, where he became lieutenant-colonel of the militia, lived for a time in Prince Edward County but returned to this township before his death.

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

Lieut. Col. James Rogers

Lieut. Col. James Rogers
KM
22

GPS:
44.1282833
,
-76.8832667

In Sandhurst, on the grounds of a church on the south side of Highway 33 just west of Wellington Street at street number 8010 3.0 km west of Road 21

Born in Ireland, Rogers emigrated with his family to Massachusetts Bay Colony about 1730. During the Seven Years' War he served in the Queen's Rangers (Roger's Rangers), a provincial corps raised by his brother Robert, and was present at the capture of Louisbourg and of Quebec. In the American Revolution he commanded the 2nd Battalion, King's Rangers, thereby forfeiting some 20,230 ha in the old colonies. In 1784 he led a party of about 300 disbanded King's Rangers and their families to this vicinity where they were granted land. Rogers, who first settled in Fredericksburgh, where he became lieutenant-colonel of the militia, lived for a time in Prince Edward County but returned to this township before his death.

More sites nearby

Upper Gap Archeological Site

KM
:
18

Plaque Details & Location

Robert McDowall Church and Cemetery

KM
:
22

8031 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

In 1834, a frame church was built by the early Presbyterian families. In 1887 the church was renovated, the tower was added on the front rising 60 feet.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Hay Bay Church

KM
:
34

2368 S Shore Rd, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

Old Hay Bay Church is the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada. It was erected in 1792 by settlers, including United Empire Loyalists, who had recently arrived and established the community of Adolphustown.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Burial Ground

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Situated in UEL Heritage Centre and Park, Adolphustown, Ontario, the UEL Burying Ground is known as the first Loyalist cemetery.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Adolphustown Township Hall

KM
:
35

10469 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

The Old Adolphustown Township Hall, located on Loyalist Parkway at Adolphustown, at the entrance to the park, is the site of the first town meeting in Upper Canada and the Midland District Courthouse (1792).

Plaque Details & Location

St. Alban the Martyr Church

KM
:
35

10419 Loyalist Pkwy, Adolphustown, ON K0K 1X0

St. Alban the Martyr Church was erected in 1884 as a memorial to the United Empire Loyalists.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The park is the site of the original landing of the first group of United Empire Loyalists, under Major Peter Van Alstine, which took place on June 16, 1784.

Plaque Details & Location