Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

Loyalist Landing Place

Source: ontarioplaques.com

KM
35

GPS:
44.0608889
,
-77.0104109

At Adolphustown, in a parking lot at the west end of a park off the south side of Highway 33 just west of Road 8 at street number 10482

Plaque Text

Loyalist Landing Place

On June 16, 1784, a party of some 250 United Empire Loyalists landed from bateaux near this site and established the first permanent white settlement in Adolphustown Township. They had sailed from New York in the fall of 1783 under the leadership of Major Peter Van Alstine (1747-1811), a Loyalist of Dutch ancestry, and passed the winter at Sorel. Van Alstine was later appointed a justice of the peace, represented this area in the first Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada and built at Glenora the earliest grist-mill in Prince Edward County.

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

Loyalist Landing Place

Loyalist Landing Place
KM
35

GPS:
44.0608889
,
-77.0104109

At Adolphustown, in a parking lot at the west end of a park off the south side of Highway 33 just west of Road 8 at street number 10482

On June 16, 1784, a party of some 250 United Empire Loyalists landed from bateaux near this site and established the first permanent white settlement in Adolphustown Township. They had sailed from New York in the fall of 1783 under the leadership of Major Peter Van Alstine (1747-1811), a Loyalist of Dutch ancestry, and passed the winter at Sorel. Van Alstine was later appointed a justice of the peace, represented this area in the first Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada and built at Glenora the earliest grist-mill in Prince Edward County.

More sites nearby

Upper Gap Archeological Site

KM
:
18

Plaque Details & Location

Robert McDowall Church and Cemetery

KM
:
22

8031 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

In 1834, a frame church was built by the early Presbyterian families. In 1887 the church was renovated, the tower was added on the front rising 60 feet.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Hay Bay Church

KM
:
34

2368 S Shore Rd, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

Old Hay Bay Church is the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada. It was erected in 1792 by settlers, including United Empire Loyalists, who had recently arrived and established the community of Adolphustown.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Burial Ground

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Situated in UEL Heritage Centre and Park, Adolphustown, Ontario, the UEL Burying Ground is known as the first Loyalist cemetery.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Adolphustown Township Hall

KM
:
35

10469 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

The Old Adolphustown Township Hall, located on Loyalist Parkway at Adolphustown, at the entrance to the park, is the site of the first town meeting in Upper Canada and the Midland District Courthouse (1792).

Plaque Details & Location

St. Alban the Martyr Church

KM
:
35

10419 Loyalist Pkwy, Adolphustown, ON K0K 1X0

St. Alban the Martyr Church was erected in 1884 as a memorial to the United Empire Loyalists.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The park is the site of the original landing of the first group of United Empire Loyalists, under Major Peter Van Alstine, which took place on June 16, 1784.

Plaque Details & Location