Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

Quakers of Adolphustown

Source: ontarioplaques.com

KM
33

26 Quaker Hill Road, Adolphustown, ON

GPS:
44.0977202
,
-77.0279663

On the south bank of Hay Bay at the 90 degree bend in South Shore Road (Road 8) 4 km north of Road 33

Plaque Text

Quakers of Adolphustown

The first Preparative Meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers) in either Upper or Lower Canada was organized in Adolphustown Township in 1798 at the house of Philip Dorland. Quakers had settled in this district in 1784 and at first held religious gatherings in private homes. In 1795 a frame meeting house was authorized and shortly thereafter it was erected on this site. A Monthly Meeting was formed in 1801 which aided the formation of further Quaker Meetings in the Bay of Quinte area. A new meeting house was built here in 1868 but was abandoned after the Monthly Meeting was discontinued in 1871 and only this burying ground remains.

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

Quakers of Adolphustown

Quakers of Adolphustown
KM
33

26 Quaker Hill Road, Adolphustown, ON

GPS:
44.0977202
,
-77.0279663

On the south bank of Hay Bay at the 90 degree bend in South Shore Road (Road 8) 4 km north of Road 33

The first Preparative Meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers) in either Upper or Lower Canada was organized in Adolphustown Township in 1798 at the house of Philip Dorland. Quakers had settled in this district in 1784 and at first held religious gatherings in private homes. In 1795 a frame meeting house was authorized and shortly thereafter it was erected on this site. A Monthly Meeting was formed in 1801 which aided the formation of further Quaker Meetings in the Bay of Quinte area. A new meeting house was built here in 1868 but was abandoned after the Monthly Meeting was discontinued in 1871 and only this burying ground remains.

More sites nearby

Upper Gap Archeological Site

KM
:
18

Plaque Details & Location

Robert McDowall Church and Cemetery

KM
:
22

8031 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

In 1834, a frame church was built by the early Presbyterian families. In 1887 the church was renovated, the tower was added on the front rising 60 feet.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Hay Bay Church

KM
:
34

2368 S Shore Rd, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

Old Hay Bay Church is the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada. It was erected in 1792 by settlers, including United Empire Loyalists, who had recently arrived and established the community of Adolphustown.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Burial Ground

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

Situated in UEL Heritage Centre and Park, Adolphustown, Ontario, the UEL Burying Ground is known as the first Loyalist cemetery.

Plaque Details & Location

Old Adolphustown Township Hall

KM
:
35

10469 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

The Old Adolphustown Township Hall, located on Loyalist Parkway at Adolphustown, at the entrance to the park, is the site of the first town meeting in Upper Canada and the Midland District Courthouse (1792).

Plaque Details & Location

St. Alban the Martyr Church

KM
:
35

10419 Loyalist Pkwy, Adolphustown, ON K0K 1X0

St. Alban the Martyr Church was erected in 1884 as a memorial to the United Empire Loyalists.

Plaque Details & Location

United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

KM
:
35

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

The park is the site of the original landing of the first group of United Empire Loyalists, under Major Peter Van Alstine, which took place on June 16, 1784.

Plaque Details & Location