This village is the landing site of a part of Jessop’s Loyal Rangers in June 1784.
Amherst Island Ferry Dock
5604 Hwy 33, Bath, ON K0H 1G0
Nearby is the Amherst Island ferry dock. For a small fee one can take a side trip to Stella on the Island. This is an important stop for migrating birds and a refuge for a large population of owls in winter. Several famous artists lived and painted here.
The historic village of Bath features a number of heritage buildings and plaques. For a local map and more information on the many historic sites here see the Parkway Tourist Information Shelter in the park on the north side of the road near the traffic lights. The Layer Cake Hall (Bath library), the Fairfield-Gutzeit House, (late 1700s) open to visitors in season, the Old Town Hall (Bath Museum) and St. John’s Anglican Church should not be missed. There is a park and swimming beach east of the stop light on Main Street.
Image courtesy of Fairfield-Gutzeit Society
341 Main Street Bath, Bath, ON K0H 1G0
The Fairfield-Gutzeit House (c1796) and Lafarge 1812 Discovery Centre (c1806) sit south of the highway and are open for tours from July 1st to September 1st. The house was built by William Fairfield’s Sr. sons Benjamin and William Jr.
The house was the site of the American attack in November of 1812 where they seized and burned the Fairfields' schooner “Two Brothers”. The Fairfields operated the first Customs House and Post Office in the Village along with holding prominent roles in government.
Layer Cake Hall - Bath Library
Image courtesy of Will S. - Flickr
197 Davy St, Bath, ON K0H 1G0
The Layer Cake Hall was constructed in 1859 and is an excellent example of Gothic Revival architecture. The Lennox & Addington Library – Bath Branch is the current occupant.