Historic Plaques along the Loyalist Parkway

Van Alstine's Mill

KM
40

59 Hatchery Lane, Glenora, ON K0K 2T0

GPS:
44.0416284
,
-77.0625355

Peter Van Alstine, an early settler from New York State, is one of the region's most influential historical figures.

Plaque Text

Van Alstine's Mill

Additional History

Historic Sites along the Loyalist Parkway

Van Alstine's Mill

Van Alstine's Mill
KM
40

59 Hatchery Lane, Glenora, ON K0K 2T0

GPS:
44.0416284
,
-77.0625355

Peter Van Alstine, an early settler from New York State, is one of the region's most influential historical figures.

Peter Van Alstine, an early settler from New York State, is one of the region's most influential historical figures. He settled in Adolphustown after leading a large group of Loyalists to the area, and was elected as the region's representative in the first legislature of Upper Canada in 1792.

Van Alstine successfully petitioned the government to establish a gristmill at what is now known as Glenora in 1806. The mill, which was constructed with local limestone, was joined by other mills in the following years, giving the settlement its first name: "Stone Mills". The mill stayed in the Van Alstine family until the late 1830's, and Hugh Macdonald, the father of our first Prime Minister, was the miller there from 1829-1836.

The mill operated until the early 20th century, but eventually fell into disuse, though thankfully the building has remained.


More sites nearby

Lake on the Mountain

KM
:
40

296 County Road 7, Picton, ON K0K 2T0

Discover one of Ontario’s natural wonders at Lake on the Mountain Park.

Plaque Details & Location

Stage and Ferry Hotel

KM
:
40

11275 Loyalist Parkway, Glenora, ON K0K 2T0

At the road near the west dock is the former Stage and Ferry Hotel. The picturesque red courtyard barns next door to the west were built to contain stables and a dairy for the hotel.

Plaque Details & Location

Macauley Heritage Park

KM
:
48

23 & 35 Church Street, Picton, ON K0K 2T0

Macaulay Heritage Park is an attractive historic site featuring many points of interest.

Plaque Details & Location

Picton Courthouse

KM
:
48

44 Union St, Picton, ON K0K 2T0

An Act of the legislature of Upper Canada in 1831 named Prince Edward County a separate judicial district.

Plaque Details & Location

Crystal Palace

KM
:
48

375 Main St, Picton, ON K0K 2T0

The Crystal Palace is probably the last remaining example of many inspired by Sir Joseph Plaxton’s original in London, England.

Plaque Details & Location

Picton Town Hall

KM
:
48

2 Ross St Picton, ON K0K 2T0

Built in 1866, the hall has significant heritage value in the local community and is a designated landmark under the Ontario Heritage Act.

Plaque Details & Location

Regent Theatre

KM
:
48

224 Picton Main St, Picton, ON K0K 2T0

A feature on the main Street is the Regent Theatre (1918) with one of the few remaining vaudeville fly towers. It now offers live theatre and movies.

Plaque Details & Location

Ross McMullen House

KM
:
48

347 Main Street, Picton, ON K0K 2T0

Built as a private residence in 1864, the Ross McMullen House later served as the home of Royal Canadian Legion Branch 78 for over 6 decades.

Plaque Details & Location

Saint Mary Magdalene Church (Macaulay Church Museum)

KM
:
48

35 Church St, Picton, ON K0K 2T0

The historic former Church of St. Mary Magdalene, now a museum on the grounds of Macauley Heritage Park.

Plaque Details & Location

Stevenson Building

KM
:
48

172 Picton Main St, Picton, ON K0K 2T0

The Stevenson Building, (c.1835) was originally a feed store with mill behind and is now offices, stores and apartments.

Plaque Details & Location

Waring House

KM
:
53

395 Sandy Hook Road, Picton, ON K0K 2T0

West of Picton, The Waring House, at the intersection of Sandy Hook Road (Cty. Rd. #1) and the Parkway is an Inn and a fine example of our early stone houses.

Plaque Details & Location

West Lake Boarding School

KM
:
53

Built before 1839, this home, a fine example of "Loyalist Neo-Classical" architecture, was the main building of the West Lake Boarding School between 1841 and 1865.

Plaque Details & Location

Cooper’s Mill

KM
:
56

398 Bloomfield Main St, Bloomfield, ON K0K 1G0

Cooper’s Mill, (now a pallet factory) in operation by one family for over 150 years

Plaque Details & Location

Corey’s Hotel

KM
:
56

271-273 Main Street, Bloomfield, ON K0K 1G0

This building, dating to at least 1841, was formerly known as Corey's Hotel.

Plaque Details & Location

Quaker Cemetery

KM
:
56

171 Main Street, Bloomfield, ON K0K 1G0

Plaque Details & Location

Hicksite Friends Cemetery

KM
:
60

Loyalist Pkwy, Bloomfield, ON K0K 1G0

The Hicksites were a branch of Quakerism created following a schism in the church in the 1820's.

Plaque Details & Location

Daniel Reynolds House

KM
:
66

239 Wellington Main Street, Wellington, ON K0K 3L0

Daniel Reynolds’ stone house (c 1792), is said to be the earliest surviving home in the County.

Plaque Details & Location

Quaker Meeting House (now Wellington Heritage Museum)

KM
:
66

290 Main Street, Wellington, ON K0K 3L0

Built in 1885 as a Quaker Meeting House this building is now home to the Wellington Heritage Museum and features exhibits on local history.

Plaque Details & Location

Tara Hall

KM
:
66

146 Wellington Main St, Wellington, ON K0K 3L0

Tara Hall is a Georgian manor house in the village of Wellington, in Prince Edward County in Ontario, Canada. It was built by merchant and postmaster Archibald McFaul between 1837 and 1839.

Plaque Details & Location

Prince Edward County Archives

KM
:
66

28 East Street, Wellington, ON K0K 3L0

The mandate of the Prince Edward County Archives is to collect and preserve printed material having any bearing on the history of Prince Edward County.

Plaque Details & Location

Wellington Cemetery

KM
:
66

104 Consecon St, Wellington, ON K0K 3L0

Plaque Details & Location

Hillier Town Hall

KM
:
78

18560 Loyalist Pkwy, Hillier, ON K0K 2J0

Built in 1867, Hillier Hall is the second oldest town hall in Prince Edward County.

Plaque Details & Location