Route
Landmark
Plaque
Please note: Route information is shown from east to west. Kilometer marker numbers start from 0 at the Eastern Gates in Amherstview.
KM
34

Old Hay Bay Church

Old Hay Bay Church

2368 S Shore Rd, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

GPS:
44.102255
,
-77.019796
Visit website
Visit Website

Old Hay Bay Church is the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada. It was erected in 1792 by settlers, including United Empire Loyalists, who had recently arrived and established the community of Adolphustown.

Up to Map
KM
35

Adolphustown

Adolphustown

GPS:
44.063775
,
-77.006628
Visit website
Visit Website
1784 watercolour by James Peachey (Public Domain)

Returning to the Loyalist Parkway. Just west of County Rd. #8 is St. Alban the Martyr Church which was erected in 1884 as a memorial to the United Empire Loyalists who settled here.

Nearby, in the Old Town Hall, Municipal Government was initiated in Canada.

Just across the Parkway in The United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre and Park is the site of the landing of the Loyalist settlers in June 1784.

Visit the Loyalist Cemetery and find the plaque about the loyalist leader Major Van Alstine. The Loyalist Cultural Centre in Allison House is a genealogical archive and museum. The Park offers camping, day use, boat ramp, swimming and fishing. Heritage reenactments sometimes take place in the attractive, tree-filled picnic grounds.

Up to Map
KM
35

St. Alban the Martyr Church

St. Alban the Martyr Church

10419 Loyalist Pkwy, Adolphustown, ON K0K 1X0

GPS:
44.064692
,
-77.004155
Visit website
Visit Website

St. Alban the Martyr Memorial Church stands by the side of the road, elevated on a rise of land, about 40 kilometres west of Kingston, in the quiet hamlet of Adolphustown. The church was built close to the landing site of the fourth town contingent of the United Empire Loyalist who arrived at Adolphustown Creek on June 16, 1784 and is dedicated to United Empire Loyalists.

Construction of this Gothic revival stone church began in 1884. The Honourable John Beverly Robinson, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario laid the cornerstone on June 17, 1884, during the Bay of Quinte Centennial Celebrations of the landing of the Loyalists. Construction lasted several years and the first service was held in the church June 25, 1890.

The church has many interesting features, including a marble baptismal font, flags that are replicas of the colours that the Queen's Rangers American Regiment carried during the American Revolution and a bell believed to be the oldest church bell in Canada.

Source: http://www.uelac.org/St-Alban/church-history.php


Up to Map
KM
35

Old Adolphustown Township Hall

Old Adolphustown Township Hall

10469 Hwy 33, Napanee, ON K7R 3K7

GPS:
44.063535
,
-77.0070536
Visit website
Visit Website

The Old Adolphustown Township Hall, located on Loyalist Parkway at Adolphustown, at the entrance to the park, is the site of the first town meeting in Upper Canada and the Midland District Courthouse (1792).The current building was constructed circa 1860 to replace the Court House that burned in the 1840s and was renovated by the municipality of Adolphustown in 1984. It is used for special events by the Seasonal Campers and also by the Bay of Quinte Branch

Up to Map
KM
35

United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

United Empire Loyalist Heritage Centre & Park

54 Adolphustown Park Rd, Bath, ON K0H 1G0

GPS:
44.0618725
,
-77.0068922
Visit website
Visit Website

The UEL Heritage Centre and Park is a mixture of history, camping, and family fun, all in one location.  It is made up of 72 acres, located on the scenic shores of the Bay of Quinte, along the Loyalist Parkway (Hwy #33) in the historic village of Adolphustown.

The park is the site of the original landing of the first group of United Empire Loyalists, under Major Peter Van Alstine, which took place on June 16, 1784.  The first loyalists were settled on the grounds in tents, and spent their early days here before moving to their new homes.  The UEL Heritage Centre and Park is dedicated to the preservation of this important location, which included the first Loyalist Cemetery, established in 1784, and the oldest monument to the Loyalists in Canada, erected in 1884 for the Loyalist Centennial Celebrations.

The UEL Heritage Centre & Park is owned and operated by the Bay of Quinte Branch of the United Empire Loyalists Association of Canada.

Visit the UEL Heritage Centre & Park on Facebook.

Up to Map